Lebanese Civil War 1982



February 8, 1982 Israel reiterated its threats against the South, while Lebanon continued its contacts to eliminate the dangers weighing on the Southern zone and to increase the number of UNIFL soldiers in the area.

February 24, 1982 A commando of the partisans of the Imam Moussa Sadr burst into the Beirut International Airport and took control of a Boeing 707 of the Kuwait Airways that had just landed with 195 passengers on board. The negotiations led to the release of the passengers. The commando members surrendered to the Arab Strike Force. After this incident, the Kuwaiti company interrupted its flights to Beirut.

February 27, 1982  The explosion of a car bomb killed 4 persons and wounded 26 others in Ouzaļ.

March 6, 1982 Another car bomb exploded in Jnah killing 6 persons and injuring 17 others. 

March 31, 1982 A new car bomb exploded next to the Abed clock killing 2 persons and wounding 4 others.

On April 21, 1982 in south Lebanon, an Israeli soldier was killed by a land mine in the buffer zone. Israel retaliated with artillery shelling breaking the ceasefire, the same ceasefire the PLO had observed uninterrupted for eleven months. Six successive raids were reported within 90 minutes against Aramoun, Naameh and Damour, putting an end to a cease-fire that lasted 9 months. This new aggression claimed the lives of 80 victims.

April 23, 1982 13 people died and 12 were injured as a result of 24 hours of intermittent fights in Tripoli between the Iraqi Baas and the Communist Party militiamen.

(April 1982) Assassination of Sheikh Ahmad Assaf by Syria Syrians kept assassinating whoever oppose its military intervention in Lebanon. In April 27, 1982 Syrian agents killed Sheikh Ahmad Assaf for his patriotic stands.

(May 2, 1982) Assassination of Father Phillipe Abou Sleiman In their continuous attempts to divert the attention of their crimes in Lebanon, the Syrian regime maintained the policy of assassinating religious figures in the towns that are inhabited by mix of Christians and Muslims or Druze. On May 1, 1982 Father Phillipe Abou Sleiman, a priest in Aley, was killed.



On May 9, Israel bombed and strafed villages along the Lebanese coast. The PLO fired 100 rounds of artillery and rockets into northern Israel in retaliation.


June 4, 1982  Israelis fighters shot two Syrian Migs over the Kesrouan. The two pilots were handed in to the Arab Strike Force. Within an hour, the Israeli airplanes inflicted on Beirut the toughest bombing since the Fakahani attack in seven successive rounds. Sixty persons were killed and 270 injured in these air raids against the sectors of the Sports City, Sabra, Chatila, and Bourj Brajneh.

June 5, 1982 The South was burning. Over 150 persons killed and 250 wounded were reported while the Israeli artillery, navy and aviation bombarded 38 towns and localities.



In one day, shot down 29 Syrian MiG fighters without the loss of a single plane.  

The Israelis destroyed or damaged 18 of the 19 Syrian missile batteries

Syrian MiG Shoot down


June 6, 1982 The Israelis invaded the South along three axes. The Security Council adopted immediately a resolution requesting the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of all Israeli forces up to the internationally recognized borderlines. However, this did not stop Israel from reaching Saida and Tyr.  

As they captured PLO bases in southern Lebanon, the IDF found huge caches of weapons supplied from virtually every arms-dealing country in the world, including the US, Britain, China, France, Germany, Japan, Libya, the Soviet Union, Sweden, and Vietnam.

June 8, 1982 The Israelis made a surprise breakthrough in the Upper-Chouf in Moukhtara, Barouk, Baakline, up to Ain Zhalta. The Israeli Prime Minister Menahem Begin sent a message to the Syrian President Hafez El Assad asking him not to intervene in the fights.

June 11, 1982 207 civilians died and 647 were wounded as a result of the Israeli barbarian operations.

June 13, 1982 The Israeli troops attacked Baabda where they occupied the Seraglio and the governmental hospital.

June 18, 1982 The Beirut International Airport was also bombed.

June 28, 1982 The PLO accepted the idea of leaving Beirut to save the city, with, in return, an Israeli withdrawal from the surroundings of the capital.

July 3, 1982 While waiting for the PLO's response to the Israeli conditions, West Beirut was under a tight blockade.

July 5, 1982 The Israelis controlled the Beirut International Airport where violent fights opposed them to the Palestinian-Progressive Joint Forces.

July 6, 1982 The US President, Ronald Reagan, decided to send American troops to Lebanon in order to reestablish peace and evacuate the Fedayin.


July 11, 1982 It was apocalypse in Beirut! The two sectors of the capital as well as the mountain were heavily bombed during 15 hours non-stop, killing 75 persons and injuring 180 others.


July 24, 1982 Bechir Gemayel announced his candidacy for the presidency of the Republic.

July 27, 1982 On the eve of the return to Beirut of the US envoy, and the opening of the conference of the Arab Committee, Israel bombed West Beirut. The Palestinian forces retorted by shelling East Beirut. 112 deaths and 232 injuries were reported so far.

August 1, 1982 The occupation of West Beirut turned into an annihilation war. Violent attacks killed 165 persons and wounded 400 others.

August 6, 1982 The Accra building occupied by refugees collapsed during an Israeli air raid on Beirut, provoking the death of 250 persons.

August 19, 1982 French, Italian, and American contingents were on their way to Lebanon.

August 21, 1982 397 Palestinian fighters were evacuated towards Larnaca after the arrival of the French paratroopers. According to a United Nations report, between the 6th of June 1982 and the 15th of August 1982, 6,775 persons had been killed and 30,000 others wounded. Over 80% of these victims were civilians form West Beirut. According to the same source, 2,094 seriously injured persons had been burned by phosphor bombs.

August 23, 1982 Bechir Gemayel was elected President of the Lebanese Republic at the second round, by 57 votes against five abstentions.

August 31, 1982 As the Arab Strike force was achieving its withdrawal from Beirut, Israeli fighters shoot a Mig 25 over Antelias.

September 1, 1982 The last Palestinian fighters left Lebanon. In 12 days, 10,876 Fedayin and 2,700 Syrian soldiers had left the Lebanese territory.


President-elect Bashir Gemayel, a Maronite Catholic was killed along with many of his companions in the explosion of his party's Beirut headquarters on September 14, 1982 by the SSNP (Syrian Socialist National Party). The Syrians used Habib Chartouni as an assassin and consider Chartouni a hero, and they liberated him in October 1990 when they invaded the two Metn. 



The explosion killed 20 persons and wounded 60 others.


Habib Chartouni had belonged to the pro-Syrian party the PSNS, since 1977, and was recruited by Assaad Hardane, head of the pro-Syrian party in Lebanon. Elie Hobeika, head of the Phalangist security had recruited Habib Chartouni. Hobeika acted in accordance with the Syrians. Ali Douba, chief of the Syrian intelligence services supplied Chartouni with the explosives. The Syrians used Habib Chartouni as an assassin and consider Chartouni a hero, and they liberated him in October 1990 when they invaded the two Metn.

Bechir Gemayel's funerals in Bickfaya united the whole country. A national mourning was announced for one week. All Lebanese parties denounced the criminal act that killed the future President of the Republic who was the advocate of a Lebanese identity and of the necessity of reaching a national understanding.

On September 15, Israeli forces moved forward, under orders from Defense Minister Ariel Sharon who acted without Israeli cabinet authorization, killing 31 persons and injuring 121 others. Major damages were also reported.

They took up positions throughout much of West Beirut

A truck carrying an anti-aircraft gun drives past a bombed sports stadium in Beirut during the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, 1982


Driving all the way to Beirut and putting the PLO fighters and residents, as well as the Lebanese civilian population of that city, under siege

The Israeli Defense Forces under the command of Ariel Sharon moved into Beirut and occupied the city. 


Many buildings in west Beirut destroyed by the F 16 plans

Israel troops


Israeli citizens were also unhappy with the war, as 486 Israelis were killed, and the goals were not clear.


Israel Troops inside of West Beirut

It is estimated that during the entire campaign 19,000 were killed and 30,000 were wounded from Lebanese and Palestinians.

Israeli troops allowed the Phalangists to enter Sabra and Shatila to root out terrorist cells believed located there.

Israel Forces entering west Beirut

On Thursday, September 16, 1982,  Lebanese Christian Phalangist troops, with the IDF looking on from surrounding rooftops, entered the Palestinian refugee camps of Sabra and Shatilla in Beirut

Inside of the destroyed Sabra & Shatila camps


No comment 

No comment

The killing continued until September 17, 1982 morning. At least 1200- 1500 were killed.

The dead, according to the Lebanese account, included 35 women and children. The rest were men: Palestinians, Lebanese, Pakistanis, Iranians, Syrians and Algerians. 

1982 September 21: After that his brother Bashir had been assassinated on September 14, Gemayel is elected president.

This choice was one of necessity, where the Phalange party tried to make him fill the void (politically and symbolically) after Bashir. The parliament vote is 78 against 1 in his favor. 

A French aircraft carrier makes its way to Beirut

September 29, 1982 This extreme instability, and horror at the massacre, led President Reagan to announce on September 20, the formation of a new MNF from the US, British, France and Italy intended to give the Lebanese a chance to stabilize.

A helicopter evacuates American and British civilians from Beirut  

The first elements of some 1,200 Marines began to arrive in Beirut, eventually growing to about 1,800. While The Israeli troops leave Beirut.

American troops

American Base near Airport



US marines Base ' Death from Above '

October 4, 1982 An assault was perpetrated against an Israeli bus in Aley killing seven persons.

October 5, 1982 In retaliation to the Alley assault, the Israelis launched a raid on Dahr El Baydar and the Upper-Metn.
October 15, 1982 The killing attempts continued against Israeli soldiers. A car bomb exploded in Bhamdoun killing 3 persons, of which two were Israeli, and injuring 10 others.

November 16, 1982 The Israelis reinforced their control in the Chouf and Aley. The leaders in the mountain called upon Amine Gemayel who seemed determined to speed the settlement of the crisis in the Druze-Christian regions.

November 20, 1982 The Lebanese Forces and the Progressive Socialist Party militiamen started a merciless war in the cazas of Aley and the Chouf.


We are not responsible for any picture sent to Liberty05 to be viewed on our website for its content, people in it, location of picture, picture properties, copyright, to whom it may concern and what ever the reason is as long as all pictures have no logos for being private or copyright, and sent to us by amateurs and professionals. For any information email us info@liberty05.com